This post provides step by step instructions on how to connect your Netgear range extender to your existing WiFi router if it’s SSID is hidden. If the SSID (network name) of the router is hidden, your Netgear range extender will not detect it during Netgear new extender setup. You will need to enter the SSID (Service Set Identifier) information manually.
What is SSID?
A Service Set Identifier (SSID) is a unique ID that consists of 32 characters. It is basically used for naming a wireless network. Each packet that is sent over a wireless network includes the SSID that ensures data that is being sent over the air arrives at the exact location. For more information, get in touch with our technical experts.
Steps to connect a Netgear Range Extender to a Hidden SSID
- Plugin your Netgear WiFi range extender into a power source.
- Wait for a couple of minutes for your device to boot up.
- Once done, connect a wireless client device (any) to the SSID (default) of Netgear range extender. This will open the new extender setup page in your default browser automatically.
Note: If the setup page doesn’t come up, it can be open with your web browser using www.mywifiext.net smart wizard.
- Create a valid account to manage the range extender and click on ‘Next’.
- Now, on the Netgear Genie welcome screen, select the option ‘WIFI RANGE EXTENDER’. The setup wizard will automatically scan for the existing wireless networks that are within the range.
- If the SSID of your main WiFi router is hidden, then it will not show up in the displayed list. Select the option ‘Manually input my wireless SSID’ and click on ‘Next’.
- Enter your main WiFi router’s SSID in the network name (SSID) field.
- Select the security option as your main WiFi router is using.
- If necessary, enter the network password – click on ‘Next’ and it will automatically initialize your WiFi range extender to connect with the main router’s WiFi network.
Note the points:
Note: Place your range extender and the router within the reach of each other to avoid issues while doing the setup of Netgear WiFi extender. Apart from that, use the latest firmware to make your device perform efficiently. Place your main WiFi router into a higher shelf away from heat and dust.
- As soon as your range extender initializes a connection with the main WiFi router, you need to enter the network name and passphrase (password or security key) of the extender’s WiFi networks. If you want to set the same security settings and password as your main WiFi router then you can leave them unchanged.
- Hit on ‘Next’ and finalize the setup process.
If you want to change the SSID and password, then make the necessary changes and hit on ‘Next’.
At last, connect the client devices to the new wireless network of the range extender and hit ‘Continue’ to finish the setup process.
How to set up a Netgear Range Extender using mywifiextnet local?
Mywifiext local is a web address to set up a new Netgear WiFi range extender with Apple and iOS devices. You can also customize the settings of an already configured range extender using this web address. But sometimes, mywifiextnet local doesn’t open due to some technical issues. It is just because mywifiext local is a local web address and not a regular website on the internet.
To resolve how to setup Netgear extender issue using mywifiext or mywifiextnet local, waste no time in reaching out to us. We are always ready to help you solve all your extender issues in a matter of minutes.